Sunday 25 September 2011

Ode to Poundland

It may seem odd, in a blog about going around Africa, to talk about that great British instituton Poundland but bear with me, all will become clear.

For the uninititated Poundland is a shop which sells everything from toothpaste to baked beans, toffikee and skittles to hammers and nails all alongside cleaning products, crayons and (currently) Christmas decorations and Halloween costumes.  Sounds like a supermarket I hear you mutter and indeed it is but for one crucial detail, everything is ONE POUND (and I don't think you can get a store card but I'm definitely going to look into it...).  It's a vertiable treasure trove of wonderful buys you could do without but can't resist because they are only ONE POUND! And in amongst these delights I discovered a tool kit for repairing punctures. I didn't even know you could repair punctures. I thought once punctured immediately forgotten. Apparently not.

So in my ehtusiasm to "be prepared" I bought this miracle product and only once I got home did I realise that it was for bicycles. Bollocks. Firstly I don't own a bike and can't really ride a bike but most importantly I don't plan to take on 7 countries in Southern Africa on the back of a bike. Where would I put the gin? And what about the elements? And I've heard of chafe and I certainly don't plan to carry tub loads of vaseline with me.

But this led me to thinking of a talk I went to a few years back in Cape Town, from Riaan Manser who did actually DO Africa on a bike - he went all round the edge of the continent - the first to circumevent Africa on a bike in fact - check these clips out.  If he's done that, then other people must have braved Africa (and its notorious elements) on two-wheel, leg powered devices. And what do you know all manner of people have crossed the continent on a bicycle alone - Helen Llyod has a pretty cool story with awesome photos as does Peter Gostelow . Indeed, their 25,000kms makes me feel alot more relaxed about our adventure and has me wondering if perhaps 2012 shouldn't be just a little taster test and 2013 should be the year of the bicycle. I can learn to ride a bicycle in a year and a bit right..right?

Besides, I don't think that Poundland accepts returns so I better find a reason to get bike riding (and owning) so I can use my puncture repair kit. Boris bikes here I come and maybe a little holiday to Paris too, seems as good a way as any to practise...

1 comment:

  1. Bicycling 2013?! You're on your own Mahooney!

    ReplyDelete