Monday 12 March 2012

Mammal Monday - Mobile Compost Heap

I did intend, with less than 100 days to go till we set out on the Put Foot Rally to only speak of Southern Africa creatures from here on out but then a friend sent me a link (see the onsie video below, not the Attenboroug video) and I simply can't resist taking a moment to speak of these awesome guys. Why? Because they have pretty epic lives. So with thanks to Gen and Stylist magazine for reminding me how great these South American mammals are I give you, THE SLOTH.

Epically titled "Attenborough: Saying Boo To A Sloth". And yes, he does say boo, to a sloth. I do love Attenborough.



Sloths, move only when necessary and even then very slowly. In fact, one of the few times they move is when searching out a mate and this is at some ridiculous speed of 2 metres per minute. I guess, with only about a quarter of the muscle weight of animals of a similar size they can't really afford to rush around. Any why should they when they can hang out in trees using no energy and their fur is not only camoflauges them but provides a little ecosystem for all manner of creepy crawleys, which keep the sloths clean. Yes indeed, they need never groom themselves. Sounds like the perfect world.

But here is the video that lead me to Sloths in the first place (thanks Stylist.co.uk). There's totally a onsie involved:



and if you're really bored you can watch this. I mean, sloths please me but I'm not sure this is ever normal:

No comments:

Post a Comment